JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for creating 3-D characters, interpreted from the Dr. Seuss series of books and movies. Must possess the ability to produce 3-D figures that are authentic to the books and movies so they are instantly recognizable for our guests. In addition to maintaining and researching materials, a strong knowledge of plant nomenclature including botanical names is required. Must be able to meet the minimum requirements of the Horticulturist job description in order to assist the Horticulturist lead with other duties as assigned. Must have a strong knowledge of different fabrics and nonliving materials used in making topiaries.
- Responsible for maintaining and creating topiaries that are true to the Dr.Seuss books and movies.
- Responsible for culture and care of specialized plant liners, crops and other materials used in topiaries.
- Ability to assist their team in area assigned tasks, like planting, trimming, maintaining, watering, and rehabilitation and all duties and responsibilities that fall under the job description for a Horticulturist.
- Provide proper planning through documentation and keeping records of material used. Research new plants, materials and submit requisitions to the supervisor.
- Assist in training others to maintain and create the topiaries to the highest of standards.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Responsible for maintaining the integrity of the topiaries. Being able to visualize the character from a picture and translate this to a 3D figure, from the research and materials requested. Be accountable for their up-keep so the quality shown to guests is flawless. Being able to work with different types of fabric and non-living material. Establish a maintenance program for fertilizing and trimming needs. In addition, help out with horticulture tasks when needed.
EDUCATION: High school degree or GED is required. Associate’s degree (AA) in Horticulture or equivalent from two-year College or technical school is preferred. Successful completion of 6 courses as listed below for Valencia Community College Horticulture Program or equivalent training is preferred:
HOS 1010 Introduction to Horticulture
ORH 1510 Ornamental Plant Materials I
ORH 1511 Ornamental Plant Materials II
SOS 2101 Soils and Fertilizers
ENY 1007 Principles of Entomology
BOT 2501 Plant Physiology
EXPERIENCE: A background in topiary maintenance or like experience is required with at least one year experience. Five to seven years’ experience of landscape maintenance in upscale commercial, residential, or resort environment or other horticultural enterprise is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Florida Driver’s License required. One of the following certifications is preferred: Florida Certified Nursery Professional or Florida Certified Landscape Technician, Landscape Maintenance Operator, Certified Arborist.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2021 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE